A vast variety of printing papers is available in markets each specified to be used for specific printing purposes. After doing deep research we have been able to provide you the basic knowledge that you should have to make a reasonable selection that best suits your requirements.
Table of Contents
- Which Gsm Paper Is Better For Printing?
- Printing Paper Types Gsm
- Can You Use Notebook Paper In A Printer?
- Which Paper Is Best For Color Printing?
- How To Choose Paper For Printing?
- Best Printer Paper For Documents
Which Gsm Paper Is Better For Printing?
20 lb/75 gsm is the basic plain printing paper. This paper is used for multiple purposes and is a good weight for printers and copiers, including inkjet and laser printers, and is considered ideal for the office environment. 24 lb/90 gsm is another paper type that is commonly used and is slightly thicker and smoother, giving enhanced resolution and print quality. Other heavier weights of paper like bond stock, lightweight cardstock, and cardstock are also used for different applications like printed covers for booklets.
Types Of Paper For Printing
Several types of printing papers are available, and you can choose the suitable one as per your need. The most popular types of paper for printing are given below.
Inkjet Printing Paper
This paper type is designed for use with all inkjet printers. This paper can work well with different inkjet inks. Photo, glossy, greeting card, and business card are the most popular variants of inkjet printing paper.
Laser Printing Paper
Laser paper is designed for use with all laser printers. It is commonly used in business environments for various purposes like printing cheques, documents, and mailing labels.
It is one of the most commonly used paper types, as it can be used to carry out nearly all printing tasks. Ink dries faster on matte than on other types of paper as it is finished with a white coating. The paper brightness offers you to print on both sides of the paper.
This type of paper is used to print photographs and images rather than text, as it can produce brilliant colors as well as sharp images. The glossy surface can absorb the ink, hence creating a brilliant image of much higher clarity than that of the image created on matte paper.
This sturdy and strong paper type is generally used for scrapbooking, and printing postcards and business cards. It is strong enough to be carried or passed around without tattering.
This paper type has an off-white appearance. It is unique from other printer paper types. A resume is used for CVs and other important documents, thus indicating that the information printed on the paper is of high importance.
Printing Paper Types Gsm
- 35-55 gsm: It is the lightest paper type, and ranges from translucent tracing paper to those used as newsprints.
- 75-90 gsm: This weight of paper is found in sketchpads and notebooks. its thickness allows you to draw on the paper with a pencil.
- 90-100 gsm: It is the weight of the most commonly used household printer paper.
- 120-140 gsm: The paper with this weight is used to create average promotional posters. product posters hanging in the windows of a store are examples of such a paper type.
- 210-300 gsm: This thicker paper type is stiffer, but it is still bendable. It is used as magazine covers and high-quality flyers. This weight is also found in most papers used for painting or watercolors.
- 350-450 gsm: It is the weight of the sturdiest and the stiffest paper and is commonly used for invitations and business cards.
Different Printing Paper Types And Sizes
Following are the sizes of different printing papers.
These paper sizes are used most widely and can be easily distinguished. These paper sizes come with different coatings and in several different weights, thus these are the most suitable paper type for several printing jobs. The following are the different A sizes along with dimensions.
|Paper size||Width x Height (mm)|
|A1||594 x 841 mm|
|A2||420 x 594 mm|
|A3||297 x 420 mm|
|A4||210 x 297 mm|
|A5||148 x 210 mm|
|A6||105 x 148 mm|
|A7||74 x 105 mm|
|A8||52 x 74 mm|
|A9||37 x 52 mm|
|A10||26 x 37 mm|
SRA paper is produced a bit more oversized than an ordinary A size paper. That is why it is used generally for commercial painting, as it offers room for gripping, trimming, and bleeding.
C size paper is used for envelopes. The size ranges from C1 to C10. They are slightly bigger than A range of paper. The different C sizes along with dimensions are enlisted below.
|Paper size||Width x Height (mm)|
|C1||648 x 917 mm|
|C2||458 x 648 mm|
|C3||324 x 458 mm|
|C4||229 x 324 mm|
|C5||162 x 229 mm|
|C6||114 x 162 mm|
|C7||81 x 114 mm|
|C8||57 x 81 mm|
|C9||40 x 57 mm|
|C10||28 x 40 mm|
Can You Use Notebook Paper In A Printer?
Your printer allows you to print on many different types of paper. You can print onto notebook paper like the other printer paper types. But you should not expect the text to exactly sit on the lines.
Which Paper Is Best For Color Printing?
Glossy and semi-glossy type paper is the best for color printing because different types of glossy finishes create high contrast sharpness and deep vibrant colors. Semi-gloss finishes can print clean and good colors efficiently, thus producing a strong contrast.
How To Choose Paper For Printing?
The following are the aspects that should be considered while selecting a printer paper.
- Choose a paperweight that best suits your printing job.
- Paper opacity describes the opaqueness or transparency of a paper sheet. Opacity should necessarily be considered while selecting paper for printing.
- Paper brightness, shade, and whiteness all impact the print appearance. So you should necessarily consider these aspects while selecting the printer paper.
- Printing papers with several paper finishes are available in markets, but a suitable paper finish should be selected for a specific print job.
- Coated and uncoated paper can greatly affect the print you produce. So you should select a paper that best suits your print job.
Best Printer Paper For Documents
The following is a list of the best printing papers.
- HP Printer Paper, Office20 is best for everyday printing purposes.
- Canon Photo Paper Plus, Matte is best for printing matte Photos.
- Kodak Ultra Premium Photo Paper is best for printing inkjet photos.
- HP Printer Paper, BrightWhite24 is best for multipurpose printing.
- Hammermill Premium Multipurpose Paper is the best multi-purpose Paper.
Several different printer papers are available in markets with varying features concerning size, weight, opacity, finishing, and brightness. But the availability of so many options makes the selection of the option that best suits your requirements, difficult and challenging. As only a specific paper can offer you the best results for a particular printing job.
So, you should make a decision wisely keeping the aforementioned aspects in mind to obtain the best results. We have provided you the basic knowledge regarding various printing paper types, that can help you to choose the most suitable one to produce prints efficiently.