Usage And Significant Benefits Of Thermal Printers:
- A thermal printer is a printer that uses heat to transfer the solid ink onto the paper to create an image. These printers are used to print industrial package related printouts mostly.
- If you are running any warehouse, factory, or industry and using laser printers to print the packaging labels, then probably you are facing trouble printing your needs. It is because using laser printers for label and barcode printing is a total waste of time and sheets as well.
- Therefore, it is a suggestion for you to switch to a thermal printer which is the only one and a great alternative for your printing requirements. Through using thermal printers, one can save their time and can print the labels and barcodes quickly.
- The best thing is that your workers will also love to do their job in a convenient and comfortable environment. They will work harder, and hopefully, the production level will also boost. Many of the commercial organizations have already switched to thermal printers because of their speed, quality, and technology advantages.
- If you didn’t have chosen the right tool for your printing jobs yet then first read this article to know all about thermal printing technology. After that, compare your requirements, and if you feel that this is the one tool that your business needs the most, then you can place an order to e-stores to own one.
If you are friendly with the thermal printing technology that no doubt your first question is, what is a thermal printer. So let’s start the discussion by answering your first question.
Brief About A Thermal Printer:
The thermal printer uses heat and thermal papers to produce the texts or images onto the sheet. Due to speed, advance, and quality printing features it has gained massive popularity in the airline, health, banking, retails, grocery shops, and entertainment industries.
There is no need for ink cartridges or toners to print images as other printers do. Now the question arises that if it didn’t use inks or then how does it work? To know its working process read further.
A Quick Description Of Printing Of Thermal Printers:
In simple words, a thermal printer uses heat to print an image onto the sheet. In the early days of printing technology, inkjets were considered as the best option for high quality and quick printing.
But nowadays thermals have overtaken its reputation. Inkjet printers are still better than thermal printers in most ways. But if you want to print other media like packaging labels, receipts, barcodes, movie tickets, no other printer can match the acceptable and quality and speed level of the thermal printers.
The thermal printer uses two different ways to print, or we can also say that there are two types of thermal printers, as discussed below.
Thermal Transfer Printer:
The thermal transfer printer uses heat to melt a coating for creating images onto papers, labels, or some other materials. The coating stays glued to the material on which the image is printed. When the coating melts with the heat, then the ribbon of the printer spreads the melted coating onto the desired material.
One can print images onto the papers, polyester, and polypropylene materials through thermal transfer printers. The commercial organizations are using it for printing labels on pipes, wall signs, tickets, tags, and many more. If one wants to print on different materials, then they have to use the required ribbon. It is because thermal transfer printers use different types of ribbons to print on various materials.
Direct Thermal Printers:
As per its name reflects, it didn’t use any ink, toner, or ribbon to print images. It works with chemically treated heat-sensitive papers and media. This kind of media darkens when it is applied to the printer’s print head and creates a copy of the printing data onto the paper.
It can print only on sheets and is used for printing shipping labels, receipts, tickets, and barcodes. As it didn’t use a lot of components for printing jobs, the printed texts never lasted for too long. Printed paper can be overexposed to heat, light, and other harsh environmental conditions.
After getting the working process and the answer to your question “what is a thermal printer” Now have a look at the advantages and disadvantages of both types to choose the better option for your business.
- Pros of thermal transfer printer:
- The printed labels will last for an extended period.
- The print outs will not fade due to harsh environmental conditions.
- It offers to print barcodes, texts, and graphics with superb resolution.
- One can also print color labels or other color texts.
- It doesn’t make noise while printing as the dot matrix printers do.
1.Cons Of Thermal Transfer Printer:
- It requires different ribbons and different sized labels sheets which is tough to store.
- One has to face a lot of trouble while loading ribbons because it is very tricky.
- The face stock can only print through the matched ribbon.
- Using only a single ribbon for printing a high volume of labels is a waste of both ribbon and label. It will require more than one ribbon, depending on the quantity of the label.
2.Pros Of Direct Thermal Printers:
- There is no issue of ribbon wrinkling while printing with direct thermal printers.
- One does not need to store too much physical inventory.
- Never worry about different ribbons and labels.
- It is because it uses fewer components. The design is too compact, which is easy to place in a short space.
3.Cons Of Direct Thermal Printers:
- The print outs cannot withstand longie exposure to heat, light, and other harsh environments. To try this fact, put your gas station receipts that are printed by direct thermal printers under the sunlight for a couple of hours. You will see the texts fade away.
- The labels and receipts will fade over a long period, even if it wasn’t exposed by light or heat.
- The printing speed is slower than thermal transfer or dot matrix printers.
- It also costs more for printing than other printers of label printing.
Compare Both To Select The Right Printer For Your Business:
Now you have got the terms which describe what a thermal printer is. The time is for choosing the right option according to your needs. The thermal transfer printers are more versatile than direct thermal printers. The direct thermal printers tend to be less expensive for purchasing. But it will cost you higher for per page print than the thermal transfer printers. But if you have budget issues and have to print only on direct materials, then direct thermal printers are good for your business.
On the other hand, the thermal printers can also do the jobs of direct thermals and can also print on various materials like paper, polyester, and polypropylene. If you require both methods of thermal printing, then you can own a thermal transfer printer.
The inkjets printers are suitable for printing high-quality images, especially color images. But when it comes to print labels, receipts or barcodes than inkjets are not an affordable option. For these requirements, the thermal printers are a better tool. It is less expensive than others to print various media.