Laser printers are one of the most popular Non-impact printers. As we know, Non-impact printers are the ones that print without directly contacting the paper. This powerful printer was invented in 1969 by Gary Starkweather. This printer uses a beam of laser light which prints the document on paper.
1. Working of Laser Printer.
Do some consumers have to get these thoughts that how does a laser printer work? The answer is here:
- First of all, the user sends data from any device to the printer’s memory, where all the data is stored.
- The corona wire inside the printer starts heating up and gets ready to charge the drum and allow the positive static rays to pass through it.
- The drum is a coated material cylinder that starts rolling as soon as it receives a positive ray. Usually, these printers have four drums inside them.
- The laser is currently getting ready using a negative electrical charge to reflect across the drum’s surface and print the desired shape.
- Slowly the toner cartridge releases the charged particles to the drum’s floor.
- The transmitting belt rolls the document over the printer and charges it favorably. The toner is drawn to the paper in the form of your print as it is passing the drum.
- Then the melted toner drops down on the paper by hot rollers and your page prints.
These are the simple working steps of a Laser printer. After going through a laser printer’s working, the question arises, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a laser printer?
Some common advantages and disadvantages of a laser printer are:
|Laser printer produces high quality images which is better than some other non-impact printers.||A Laser printer is not cheap as it carries some expensive components for a color laser.|
|A Laser printer is much faster and quicker when it comes to the printing process.||The toner cartridge is much costly than the liquid one.|
|This printer is very quiet during the process as it is much reliable for office use.||There are so many complex equipments inside which makes it difficult to repair.|
|The cost of a single page is low and cheaper than the other printers.||The size of this printer is huge, which makes it bulky.|
2. Comparison Between Laser Printer and Dot Matrix.
People usually compare laser printer with a dot matrix. There are some considerable advantages of a laser printer over the dot matrix. Some of them are as follows:
- Print Quality: The first thing which is always a great advantage for a laser printer is its print quality. Laser printer offers a resolution of 1200dpi while dot-matrix produces 300dpi.
- Printing Speed: With the latest technology, the laser printer’s printing speed is tremendous as it prints a full-size color paper in less than a minute. Dot-matrix is much slower due to pins combination.
- Noise: Since the dot matrix consists of several pins, it creates a noisy environment during a printing process. The laser printer is quieter as it only prints through the laser.
3. Effect of Laser Printer on Environment.
Laser printer environmental impact is harmful to humans due to the radiations emitted by laser technology. But side by side, the high accuracy, and precision of laser printers help in saving the need to make second copies, which cuts the continuous supply of papers and ink.
4.Applications of Laser Printer,
There is a number of applications of laser printers and it varies from sector to sector. Following are some uses of a laser printer:
- Mass production: Due to its amazing speed, the laser printer is mostly used for printing in a bulk quantity such as greeting cards, visiting cards, and pamphlets.
- Office use: Number of offices has switched to laser printer from dot-matrix because of its calm and high-quality printing process.
- Home use: These printers are one of the most common home use printers because of their reliability and maintenance cost.
The Laser printer has a number of advantages, and it also fills in every use. After going through these advantages you must be willing to purchase a laser printer, we’ve done all sort of work for that. Talking about the best laser printer? HP Color Pro is one of the best laser printers.
After laser printers, inkjet printers are the most common ones in the market. These printers don’t require any kind of laser as they print by spraying ink from their metal plates on to the paper. Inkjet printers contain four ink cartridges which are placed separately inside the printer. This printer provides a resolution of 300 dots per inch.
Some common advantages and disadvantages of inkjet printers:
- Capable of printing in multiple colors.
- The printer does not require warmup time.
- Relatively quieter than dot matrix.
- The printer produces high quality of output.
- They are easy to use.
- The Ink cartridge is expensive.
- Printing speed is not as fast as a Laser printer.
- Not suitable for high printing volume.
- Ink sometimes causes blurred effects on paper.
Comparison between Inkjet and Laser Printer.
|INKJET PRINTER||LASER PRINTER|
|The inkjet printer uses a liquid cartridge for the printing process.||The Laser printer uses a toner cartridge during the process.|
|The maintenance cost is quite affordable for an Inkjet printer.||The maintenance cost is quite expensive for these printers.|
|Inkjet printers also produce high-quality images but not that of the Laser printer.||The Laser Printer is known for high-quality production.|
After going through this article, you get to have knowledge about a laser printer, starting from how they work till their uses in every field. They have numerous advantages and disadvantages, and you have read everything about it, which makes your mind more precise if you are looking forward to purchasing this expensive machine.