With the advancement in the field of science and technology, everything is getting modernized. Printers have been serving all of us since the time of their invention by making printing easier. All of us are familiar with the wired printers that need to be connected to laptops or other devices through wires to carry out printing. But with the advent of wireless printers, it has become far easier to establish a connection between a laptop and a printer without any aid of a wire. A wireless printer needs a Bluetooth or a Wi-Fi network to print from my laptop. This article is mainly focused to answer some basic questions such as can you print from a laptop, how to use small printer for laptop and how to print over Wi-Fi.
When you are working with a wireless printer, your laptop does not need to be connected to that printer through a printer cable, and the files that are to be printed can be sent to the printer from any of the rooms in your home or those in your office. In case of a Wi-Fi network, if you are away from your Wi-Fi network to which your printer is connected, your wireless printer can still print the files you send to it through an email print service.
Many people do not know how to connect a wireless printer to a laptop. Here we have briefly explained how to easily establish this connection. So after reading all this carefully, you would be able to establish a connection between your wireless printer and laptop.
As we have described earlier there are two ways to connect your wireless printer to a laptop, which are as follows;
- Connection through a Bluetooth.
- Connection through a Wi-Fi network.
- Connection of a wireless printer to a laptop through a Bluetooth
Table of Contents
- Steps To Connect A Wireless Printer To A Wi-fi Network
- How To Troubleshoot Connection Problems?
- How To Connect A Wireless Printer To A Laptop Through Wi-fi?
- How To Connect A Printer In Windows 7 And Windows 8?
- How To Print To A Wireless Printer Over Wi-fi?
- Printing Wirelessly In The Absence Of A Wi-fi Network
To Connect A Wireless Printer To A Laptop Through Bluetooth, Follow These Steps As Described Below
- Connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the USB port of your laptop.
- Open the control panel and install any drivers needed.
- In the hardware and sound window click on advanced printer setup.
- Click on the printer that I want isn’t listed
- Then click on add a Bluetooth, wireless, or network printer in the dialog box that appears at first, and follow the instructions.
- By clicking on add a printer and following the instructions, you can get your laptop connected to your wireless printer.
- Connection of a wireless printer to a laptop through a Wi-Fi network
To connect a wireless printer to your laptop you need to connect it to a Wi-Fi network, so first we will be learning how to connect a wireless printer to a Wi-Fi network. The directions to connect a wireless printer to a Wi-Fi network generally vary and depend on the manufacturer that how he has developed its software. So before beginning, you should read the manual of your printer and follow the directions provided by the manufacturer to connect the wireless printer to a Wi-Fi network.
Steps To Connect A Wireless Printer To A Wi-fi Network
The following are the steps to connect your wireless printer to your Wi-Fi network.
- Power on your Wi-Fi router and laptop.
- Power on your wireless printer.
- Open the printer control panel, and then open the wireless setup settings.
- Open the wireless SSID of that Wi-Fi network.
- Then enter the Wi-Fi security password, which is either the WEP key or the WPA passphrase for that router.
- After the printer connects to that Wi-Fi network the wireless light provided on the printer will turn on.
How To Troubleshoot Connection Problems?
If you face any problem while connecting your printer to a Wi-Fi network following are some instructions that you should follow.
- Change the position of your printer to get a strong Wi-Fi signal. Check the display of the printer for the Wi-Fi signal strength, but it is possible only if your printer has this feature.
- If you find any pending print job you need to clear it first because any problem with a document can block the ability of your printer to connect to the Wi-Fi.
- Make a confirmation that the firmware of the printer is up-to-date.
- Restart your printer.
How To Connect A Wireless Printer To A Laptop Through Wi-fi?
After connecting your printer to a Wi-Fi network, you have to follow these instructions to connect it to a laptop.
- Power on your printer.
- Type “printer” in the windows search box.
- Choose printers & scanners.
- Choose to add a printer or scanner.
- Then select your printer being displayed there.
- Click on add device. Windows will take some time to set up the drivers required and to connect the printer to the laptop.
- Windows might require the installation of any additional software. In that case, click on get app to download the app. Then install the application.
- When the setup gets completed, you would be able to print from laptop to wireless printer.
- If your printer is not recognized by windows, go back and select printers & scanners.
- Choose to add a printer or scanner.
- Click on the printer that I want isn’t listed.
- Choose to add a Bluetooth, wireless, or network discoverable printer and select
- Choose the printer and choose
- Hence your printer will be connected to your laptop in this way.
How To Connect A Printer In Windows 7 And Windows 8?
The following are the steps to connect a printer to laptop having windows 7 or windows 8.
- Click on add a printer.
- Select add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- Choose the printer to be connected.
- Windows might require to installation of necessary printer drivers. If so, choose install driver to continue.
- Follow the remaining steps being displayed in the wizard.
- Click on Finish.
- Hence your printer can be connected to your laptop in this way, and you can print over Wi-Fi from your laptop.
How To Print To A Wireless Printer Over Wi-fi?
The following are the steps to print to a wireless printer over Wi-Fi.
- Power on the printer, connect it to Wi-Fi as described earlier.
- Place the papers in the paper tray attached with the printer.
- Click on the app or open the web browser to get the document you want to print.
- After opening the document that you want to print choose the Printer icon.
- Choose the wireless printer.
- You can change the print setting as per your need.
- Choose Print.
- Hence a page will be printed in this way.
Printing Wirelessly In The Absence Of A Wi-fi Network
Some printer manufacturing companies also offer services in the form of email print. Upon signing up at the suggested website, the manufacturer assigns an email address to the printer. You can send your document to that email address.
The following are some steps that you should follow to print wirelessly in the absence of a Wi-Fi network.
- Open your email app.
- Compose a new message.
- Enter the email address of the printer.
- You may also add a subject by entering a print job’s description.
- Attach the document to be printed.
- If you want to get a discrete printed sheet having information regarding the document, you have to type a message.
- Click on
The email is sent to the printer and gets printed on a page.
Connecting printers to the devices were never that easy but the latest technology has significantly equipped users with the easiest and panic-free connections. Users can easily print their desired documents and files by connecting their laptops and devices to the wireless printers by following the above-mentioned instructions. Wireless printers offer a great range of options and users can always select the most appropriate solution as per conditions, and satisfaction.