The 3D printers are playing a significant role in 21stcentury for automotive, hospitals, and development industries. If you also belong to these industries or you just want to own one for fun and to explore your creative ideas, then you are familiar with it.
But if you don’t then do not worry we will help you with this. It uses little drops of liquid plastic from its nozzle to create layers of the object. Mostly the liquid plastics are ABS or PLA, which will get solid enough after surrounding with air.
One can make real-life looking objects this great invention. So now the thing is how much it costs for purchasing. The 3D printers are costly to buy as the cheapest model will cost more than 1200 dollars, and the high-ends will be thousands.
If you are going to drop your idea to get a 3D printer after getting its price, wait a moment. There is no need to drop your ideas as you can assemble one by yourself. It will cost you less than buying a new set.
The task is a bit tough but not impossible, and we are going to make it easier by teaching you the easy steps. We are sure that after reading this article, you will say, “How easy it is”.
Without taking your more time, let’s get into the process of how to build a 3D printer!
Learn Here For How To Build A 3d Printer:
- Purchase requires tools and components:
For assembling a 3D printer at your home, you will have to purchase its components which are listed below. You can purchase it from online stores or your nearest hardware stores. You will also need to purchase some stationery.
- 3D Printer Arduino kit (RAMPS 1.4, MEGA 2560 R3 BOARD, A4988 DRIVER)
- Hot end (Cooling fan. Nozzle, Heater, temperature sensor, Teflon tubing)
- Stepper motor (4 no)
- 12 Volt 10 Amp Power Supply
- PLA Filament 1.75 mm
- 5 x 8 Shaft Coupler(4 no)
- Trapezoidal Threaded Screw(2 no 150 mm length)
- Trapezoidal Threaded Screw(1 no 200 mm length)
- Pencil (or Smooth road)
- 8 x 22 x 7 mm Radial Bearing(5 no)
- Limit Switch(3 no)
- Heat Bed(optional)
- Acrylic Sheet
- Wooden Block
All of these components can be easily found at Amazon and Ban good e-stores. After buying all these parts, step forward to the next step.
- Prepare and manage axis:
The next step is to prepare three different axes for the 3D printer. This step is the trickiest and needs to follow the proper instruction. It is because; if the axis is not managed correctly, then your printer will not work.
To make easy understanding, we have named these three axes as X, Y, Z.
- The X-axis is for controlling the left and right moments of the nozzle.
- The Y-Axis is for controlling the movement of the surface or bed.
- Z-axis will control the up and down moments of the nozzle.
- Now follow below-given steps to make the axis.
- Take two acrylic sheets and drill two holes of 8mm and 22mm.
- Place the radial bearing in the 22mm hole of the acrylic sheet.
- Stick these two acrylic sheets on a 22cm wooden plate on both sides.
- Now insert the 150mm lengthy threaded screw rod inside the bearing.
- Take your stepper motor and join it with the threaded screw.
- Now you will need a syringe and a ball pen cap. Cut both ends of the syringe and ball pen cap.
- Insert the ball pen caps into the syringe; it will work like linear bearings.
- insert a pencil or an 8mm plain rod inside the small hole of the acrylic sheet.
- Now one frame is ready for the Y-Axis. repeat the steps to make a similar frame.
- After making another frame, attach the both by inserting three pencils in the wooden plate. Y-Axis is ready.
- Make the bed as surface:
Now the time is to make a bed for 3D printing. The primary thing to pay attention to while this process is the level of the bed. If the level is not accurate, then your object is not right. Follow the below-given step for this task.
- Fix a wooden plate on the nut of the threaded screw of the Y-Axis part.
- Drill a 2mm hole on the wooden plate.
- Now take the acrylic sheet to fix on the wooden plate with 4 Screws.
- Take four-ball pen springs and add it to the four screws to adjust the level.
- Add one more acrylic sheet at the upper part of the screws.
- Use nuts to tighten these springs and the second acrylic sheet.
- Bed making process is done. Check the leveling twice.
- Make X-Axis:
The X-axis making process is similar to Y-Axis. You can follow the same steps. But for making X-Axis, you will need a 27cm lengthy wooden plate and 200mmthreaded screw.
- Make Z-Axis:
We said earlier that the Z-Axis would control the up and right moment of the nozzle. Therefore it also needs to be made with proper instructions. It is built on the X-Axis, and the process is straightforward and quick. You will need DVD writer parts for making Z-Axis. Steps are given below for this task.
- Attach the DVD writer on the wooden plate as shown in the image.
- The Z-Axis making process is done.
- Attach X, Y, Z-Axis:
Now the time is for attaching the three different axes that you have made. The X and Z axis will be fixed with the Y-Axis by the help of fevistick or screws. Now, use two wooden blocks to attach the X and Z axis with the Y-Axis.
- Assemble extruder parts:
The frame making process of the 3D printer is done after attaching the three Axes. Now you have to move forward to the next step that is installing the extruder in the frame. You will need to assemble the different parts of the extruder. For this, you can take help from the below-given image. It is effortless.
- Fix hot end:
The hot end component also needs to be assembled. We have mentioned the different parts of the Hot End. You will need to assemble the parts in L Shape. After assembling the hot end, fix it with the Z-axis assembly as shown in the image.
- Install PLA Filament:
The PLA Filament is used for passing through the nozzle to solidify on the bed of the 3D printer. It is because when the stepper motor moves, it will come in the hot end nozzle through the extruder. The diameter is equal to the nozzle. The below-shown image will help you with this process.
- Wiring diagram:
You can use an LCD or your laptop for the wiring process. It is not a good idea to attach your laptop all the time with your 3D printer to feed the G-code. So it will be better with an LCD and hotbed. You can get a micro SD card slot in the LCD to easily feed the G-Code. The wiring process is very easy if you follow the ideas of below-displayed images.
- Software for making designs:
The software plays a significant role in 3D printing. It is because these are used for converting the 3D files into G-code. You can install Fusion 360, Solid Edge, Catia, Creo, Solid work, or Autodesk Inventor for making digital files.
If you are not familiar with this software, then you can also download the STL files from the below-listed websites.
- Thing verse
- Pin shape
- Grab Cad
- Autodesk 123D
- Print your imagination:
Your 3D printer is ready. Now the next step is to draw a digital design of your imagination and convert the file into G-code. After that, send the printing data to your 3D printer and give a real look to your imaginations.
I hope you have just said, “How easy is that”. These how to build a 3d printer 12 steps are the easiest ones to build a 3D printer at your home and to save a lot of money. But make sure these kinds of 3D printers are useful for making small objects. If you have to print your college projects or small objects, then these printers are right for you. But if you have to print any complex design, then it will need a professional one.
If you just have started your journey in the world of 3D printing, then this model will surely help you to enhance your skills. It will be better to build a 3D printer by yourself instead of spending thousands of dollars if you are a beginner.