This technology was earlier known as photocopier technology. Those machines use laser beam technology to make a Xerox copy by scanning the document. The inkjet printers are popular before the arrival of laser technology. Can you imagine a beam light can write? It sounds impossible, but laser printers do the same. When you send printing jobs to laser printers, it uses beam light to transfer the image onto the paper. Read here how does a laser printer works.
- The printing industry has realized that the photocopier technology is less expensive than inkjet printing technology. Then they decided to invent a printer which is more affordable than inkjets by following the photocopier technology.
- This was the story behind the invention of laser printers. In the inkjets printers, it is easy to see the printing process of how your electrical data is transferring onto the page. But on the other hand, laser printers are using more components and advanced technology for doing this job.
- That’s the reason why people are always researching how does a laser printer works. It is quite interesting to know the working process of laser printers.
- If you also are curious to see them working, then we bet that you cannot leave this page without reading the full process. It is because the discussion is going to be entertaining.
Table of Content
Working Of Laser Printer In Brief:
To start the printing process, the user has to send the electrical data to the printer to transform it onto the sheet. There is a chip in the printers which reads the data first to understand how it will look on the sheet. Now the printing process starts.
- After the printer reads the data, the high voltage corona wire charges the electronic circuit of the printer to give a static electric charge to the laser beam and drums.
- The corona wire first charges the cylindrical part of the laser printer, which is known as drums.
- After the drums activate, it passes across its surface.
- The laser beams bounce off a moving mirror that scans the image over the drums.
- Wherever the laser beam hits the drum, it converts the positive charge into a negative charge.
- Thus the image of your document gets drawn onto the drum.
- For the white area it requires a positive charge and to print in black color drum requires a negative charge.
- After that, the touch of the drum with toner which is filled with powdered black or colored ink.
- Now another corona wire gives a strong negative electrical charge to the sheet to feed it to drums from the input tray.
- The drums move near to the sheet to spread the powdered ink of the toner onto it. The electrical image transformed on the sheet of paper.
- Now the printed sheet passes through the fusers, which are a heating element.
- It fuses the toner particles permanently onto the sheet by its heat and pressure.
- After the ink is placed on the sheet permanently, the pages come out in the output tray.
This is the entire working process of laser printers. We have mentioned the specific situations of electronic condition that it is positive or negative, it is because you can get the process more briefly if you are friendly with the physics theory that is opposite electrical charges attract in the same way that opposite poles of a magnet attract.
I hope now you have understood the working process. Let’s make the discussion more interesting by knowing the full history of the laser printer’s invention. It will be more fun to know who has invented the laser printers.
The Entire History Of Laser Printers!
In the earlier years of 1980, few people were using printers to make hard copies of documents. That time was of dot matrix printers. The dot matrix printers use metal needles and inked ribbons to shape the texts on the sheets. The dot matrix was the fastest printer of that time as it prints 60 alphabets per second. The noise of the metal needle was huge. It was just like the old typewriters but quite faster.
Still, there are many organizations that are using the dot matrix to print the labels and bills. In the mid of 1980, the popularity of computers got a revolution and the number of computer users hugely increased as the popularity of computers gets increased people started demanding a printer which is faster than the dot matrix and can print with higher quality.
Then the doors open for laser printing technology. Although the invention of laser printers was already done in the early years of 1960 by Gary Stark weather, who is also the inventor of photocopier technology. In the mid of 1970, laser printing technology got little popularity. It is because the prices were really high.
The first laser printers were two to three times bigger than today’s models. In the last years of 1970, popular manufacturers including IBM, Hewlett-Packard, and Canon had introduced their latest models of laser printers. After a few years, the competition is continuously getting tough, and still, all the well-reputed companies are developing new features in this printing technology. But thanks to HP and Apple, who brought a revolution in laser printing technology and now the world has the most affordable printer.
The Invention Of Laser Printer For The First Time, Date & History
The inventor of photocopier technology Gary Stark weather has invented his first laser printer by following the photocopier technology on 7th June 1977. He gave the name to his first laser printer as US Patent 4027961.
Is It Good Or Bad To Use How A Laser Printer For Works?
Well, the powdered ink of the toner contains carbon and plastic particles. It can cause air pollution. Although it can harm your health if you take some precautions, then there is no reason to worry. You can place your laser printer far away from where you spend a lot of time in your office. A good ventilated space will be more preferred. Do not handle the toner with naked hands even if it is full or empty. It is good to wear gloves while replacing the toner or cleaning the printer.
Can I Use Laser Printers For Business Work Or Not?
Yes, a hundred times, yes! The laser printers are specially made for business purposes. It is because it can offer you the highest volume of printing more quickly and at a more affordable cost.
The laser printers are one of the great options for black and white printing jobs. It is because it uses photocopier technology which is still the fastest and more affordable technique of the printing industry. Its working process is almost similar to photocopier technology, as we have discussed in this article. I hope you have enjoyed the education given by us. We have made the education easier by describing briefly how does a laser printer works. If you want to know something more about the laser printing technology you can comment below. Our team will help you out with all of your queries.