In this article, we will discuss how do you scan using a printer. One may think a printer is used only for printing documents or photos, but you can also make it useful for basic scanning needs if you have an all-in-one device.
Scanning and printing are two opposites terms. One is used for digitizing your hard copies and giving a hard copy to your digital files. Printing and scanning may be the opposite, but some printers are made for both these tasks.
If you are wondering about using a printer as a scanner, you can certainly use a printer as a scanner if it is an all in one device. To know more about using a printer for scanning, let’s see what an all in one device is.
Table of Contents
What Is An All One Device?
An all in one device is not just a printer but a multi-functional device. These printers can work not only for printing but allow you to scan, copy, or fax as well. These devices are useful in any office where they are used for multi-purpose tasks. They allow you to send some quick fax, make copies, scan the documents, and print with them also
How To Scan Using A Printer?
As we said, scanning the document with a printer is easy if you use an all-in-one device. You can only use a printer for scanning if it comes with a scanning option.
To scan a document using a printer, you have first to see what mechanism of paper loading it is offering. Two types of scanners are used for scanning:
- Flatbed Scanner
- Document Feeder
Both are useful scanning systems that allow you to scan conveniently.
Scan Using A Flatbed Scanner
A flatbed scanner needs you to put the paper on a glass bed with its face down. The lid is closed, and the scan head is moved under the glass capturing all the details from the paper that is further converted into digital signals.
A sheetfed scanner is another scanner but works differently. It allows you to feed the documents into its feeder system passed through its scanning sensors, where all details are recorded.
Both types of scanners are used for scanning documents. The flatbed scanner is great when you cannot feed the document into a scanner’s feeder system like a book page. Also, it protects the worn-out and delicate pages that are difficult to pass through a feeder system.
On the other hand, a feeder system is useful as you can feed multiple documents in it at a time. It reduces the manual work involved in the scanning as you don’t have to place each page on the glass surface manually.
So both types of scanners have their advantages, and it depends on what type of scanner your printer or all-in-one device offers.
How To Scan Using A Printer Epson?
Epson is a reliable brand that offers many great all-in-one devices that you can use to print, scan, and copy. Here is how to use the Epson printer for scanning:
- Make sure your document is ready for scanning
- Place the document, face down, on the glass bed, or use a document feeder and put the page inside its feeder.
- Make sure your printer or scanner is installed in the Windows, PC, or laptop.
- Place the home button on your Epson Scanner.
- Choose the cloud service or the folder where you want to store the scanned document.
- If you already have saved your printer settings, you can look at some preset settings.
- Go to settings to choose the additional scanning options.
- Hit the scan button.
How To Scan A Document From Hp Printer To Your Computer?
If you want to scan using an HP printer, the process remains almost the same.
- Connect the printer with your computer or laptop.
- You can connect with a USB cable or choose a wireless connection.
- Place the document on a glass bed or into the document feeder.
- Select the start button on the screen.
- You can check the settings or the destination of scans from the settings.
- Choose the color or black and white.
- Pick the type of file you want to create.
- Adjust the resolution, contrast, and brightness.
- Make sure you preview the document before the scanning.
- Finally, click the scan button.
Open the file destination on your computer or laptop to check the scanned document.
If you are wondering how to scan from a canon printer, then the process remains the same. You can use any other printer, be it Canon, Epson, HP, or any other printer.
How To Scan From Printer To Mac?
Scanning on any Apple device is different from other devices. You can scan the documents from your iPhone or MacBook through AirPrint.
- Here is how to scan from a Printer to Mac
- Make sure your printer and the iPhone are both connected to the internet.
- Click the Apple logo on the printer.
- Choose System and then preferences.
- Locate the device you want to send the scans.
- Click the scan option.
- Place the document on the scanner and close the lid.
- Click the scan button.
If your office needs to include printing and scanning, you should choose an all-in-one printer. These printers allow you to print, scan, copy, and fax as well. So you can easily scan a document or photo using a printer if it is an all in one device. You can use any printer Epson, Canon, HP, or Brother to scan a document from a printer.