Technology never ceases to amaze me. Years ago, you would have thought the printer would be old and outdated. However, it evolved instead. Best Portable printers have become a versatile device that will allow you to quickly print out any pictures, documents, or other materials as quickly and easily as ever. Easy printers? Yes, the time has finally come. These portable printers can be cheap, or there are high-end models available. They’re even some that are small enough to carry on your person if that helps you. Welcome to the best portable printer review.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Portable Printers in 2020.
- Top 10 Best Portable Printer Reviews in 2020
- 1. HP Sprocket X7N07A Portable Photo Printer
- 2. HP Sprocket Portable Photo Printer (2nd Edition).
- 3. Lifeprint Portable Printer Best for iPhone and Android
- 4. Canon IVY Mobile Mini Photo Printer
- 5. Kodak Mini Portable Mobile Instant Photo Printer
- 6. Fujifilm Instax Share Smartphone Printer
- 7. Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer
- 8. Epson Workforce WF-100 Wireless Mobile Printer
- 9. HP OfficeJet 250 All-in-One Portable Printer
- 10. HP OfficeJet 200 Portable Printer
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Comparison of 10 Best Portable Printers in 2020.
|HP Sprocket X7N07A Portable Photo Printer|
|HP Sprocket Portable Photo Printer|
|Lifeprint Portable Photo AND Video Printer|
|Canon IVY Mobile Mini Photo Printer|
|Kodak Mini Portable Photo Printer|
|Fujifilm Instax Share Smartphone Printe|
|Canon SELPHY CP1300 Photo Printer|
|Epson Workforce WF-100 Wireless Printer|
|HP OfficeJet 250 All-in-One Portable Printer|
|HP OfficeJet 200 Portable Printer|
Top 10 Best Portable Printer Reviews in 2020
Here is a list of the 10 best portable printers, their uses, and why’d you want it. You’ll be falling in love with printers (Never thought you’d hear that, right?) by the end.
This list will include the best portable printers, best portable wireless printers, best portable all-in-one printers, and the best cheap portable printers. We’ll begin with the best cheap portable printers and work our way up to the cream of the crop.
1. HP Sprocket X7N07A Portable Photo Printer
The HP Sprocket is on the lower end of the price range and comes packed with features that will make you wonder how it’s so affordable. It’s one of the best cheap portable printers.
It’s marketed as a social on-the-go portable printer. It uses Bluetooth that allows you to set it up at any time of the event. This will allow anyone attending to connect to the printer from mobile devices or through tablets and print out any photos they take.
It also allows you to create custom backgrounds, texts, and borders for your photos. What’s more meta than posting your photos to Instagram? Taking pictures of your already edited pictures that you’ve printed and posted to Instagram – your daughter will love it.
It’s a great addition to any party or event. It’s smaller size means that you can fit this into any bag or briefcase when you’re on the go, it won’t be something you awkwardly carry in between your arms as you walk down the street or on the way to a party.
- It allows you to get creative with your photos before printing.
- Ideal for those who want a fun attraction to an event or party.
- Smaller size allows you to conceal this in a backpack or bag easily.
- The smaller size also means that the images you’ll be printing are slightly smaller.
- However, this can become a small issue with most portable printers.
- It isn’t ideal for those who want a portable printer for more professional or business-related use.
2. HP Sprocket Portable Photo Printer (2nd Edition).
The HP Sprocket has once again found its way onto the list. The second edition is much like the first edition listed above, but with more capabilities and functions for you to enjoy.
They’re both great portable printers, but there is no denying that the second edition will leave you wanting much less. It’s also relatively affordable compared to some of the other best portable printers we’ll be covering so it remains as one of the cheaper portable printers.
This edition still includes Bluetooth capabilities and is ideal for parties and events as guests will be able to print their photos off that they take right there and then. What the second edition excels at is taking customization to another level. Editing your photos with texts, backgrounds, and more are still available. However, this printer goes further. You’ll be able to add augmented reality into your photos with this upgraded edition.
It works by scanning your smartphone with the Sprocket companion app to view a virtual augmented reality you can add to your printed photo. This can enhance the fun at any gathering. It also will allow you to integrate your social media profiles into the printer.
Your Instagram, Facebook, and other social media pictures can be scanned so you can print out previously taken pictures and customize them. It also comes with a sleep mode so that the printer stays connected even when on the move so it’ll be ready to print at a moment’s notice.
- Adds creativity and fun to most gatherings or events.
- Added augmented reality customization options from the first edition.
- Still a relatively affordable price for the capabilities it provides.
- Smaller size still limits your ability to take larger photographs
- The augmented reality is the main feature it upgraded.
3. Lifeprint Portable Printer Best for iPhone and Android
This Lifeprint printer falls in line with the previous two portable printers – it’s meant for bringing creativity to your photos and videos. Lifeprint’s main pitch with this printer is the ability to implement augmented reality into your photos to enhance them.
It also allows connectivity from other devices. So, you, or your friends, can connect to the printer and print the photos you’ve just taken at a moment’s notice.
It also comes with its photo editing suite that allows you to add filters, stickers, memes, and more to your printed photos. Like the previous two printers, it will also allow you to print from social media.
However, this one will allow printing from applications like Snapchat, Apple Live Photos, and can even have a function for moving GIFs and other videos. Overall, this can be great for events or as a gift for someone who’s invested in their pictures and wants to create more while having fun.
- You’ll be able to print out a maximum of 3 x 4.5 inch pictures, depending on the model.
- Able to connect to many social media platforms.
- It has functions that will allow you to mess around with moving GIFs or videos as well.
- Great for events
- It’s not ideal for professional use.
- It’s reliant on mobile devices and only supports IOS and Android devices.
4. Canon IVY Mobile Mini Photo Printer
We’ve now started to move out of the portable printers meant for fun and creativity. This portable printer is hailed as one of the best small portable printers. You’ll lose a lot of the functions of the previously listed printers such as augmented reality abilities and fun editing suites, but gain more in ease of use and practicality.
However, you’ll still be able to print from Bluetooth and social media platforms. The printer will be able to print slightly larger photos, up to 3 x 5 inches.
One of the downsides of the printer is that it’ll require Bluetooth as well as the companion application that is paired with it. The app is available for free but it’s only available for those with Android devices or IOS devices. Overall, this printer is suited more for personal use without any gimmicky features.
- Better suited for personal use.
- Slightly larger photo images than the previous printers
- Able to print from social media as well as Bluetooth
- Is, more or less, solely meant for personal use.
- Will require an Android phone running Android 4.4
- later or an IOS device running iOS 9.0 or later
5. Kodak Mini Portable Mobile Instant Photo Printer
The Kodak Mobile Instant is perhaps one of the best wireless portable printers on the market currently. No cables or buttons are required to ensure that this product works – only a functioning Android or iOS device with the companion app.
This includes include tablets. This is also one of the best all-in-one photo printers as it can combine paper and color ink that will allow for easy maintenance. You can easily purchase refills as well.
The companion app will also allow for photo editing. This includes stickers, cropping, card templates, and more. The app is free to download through either device.
- Good for personal use or, in some events, professional use.
- It can be ideal for weddings and other high-end events.
- Sleek model.
- All-in-one capabilities
- It requires an IOS or Android device,
- which is unfortunate for those who use outside of those mobile devices.
- The product is bulkier, so it’ll be harder to carry in your bag or purse.
The Fujifilm Instax is one of the high-end best portable printers. It’s wireless and uses a battery for power so you won’t be stuck constantly charging or bringing a load of cables wherever you go – it’s the perfect scenario for those wanting a portable printer. This printer is designed to be quick and easy to use.
It uses two CR2 lithium batteries for power that are good for roughly 100 prints per set. These are easy to replace and shouldn’t be an issue for a larger event if you keep a few spare sets on hand. It uses Instax’s Mini Instant Film to produce the images.
The film is of relatively good quality and shines best when using the black and white features that the printer provides. Color is good too but it is known to produce a bit of a washed-out product.
Two issues rear their head when talking on the Fujifilm Instax: the way it connects and the price of the film it uses. The printer is reliant on Wi-Fi to connect to devices for printing. This isn’t a problem if you’re at home or out where there is an internet connection.
Other printers use Bluetooth, which can be more reliable as long as you have your mobile device with you at the time (who doesn’t, though?) The Instax Mini Film produces good quality images. Other printers use more affordable film. It’ll be up to you if you think the film is worth purchasing for the quality it provides.
- Battery-powered so you won’t worry about carrying cables
- charging the printer before use.
- The quality film used.
- Praised as being easy to use and set up
- Colored images tend to look like a retro, polaroid photo.
- The film used is quite expensive.
7. Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer
If I could describe the Canon SELPHY in one sentence, it’d be The best portable all-in-one printer. It comes with many additional features that none of the other printers on this list have had yet. Let’s dive in.
The SELPHY markets itself as a printer that will allow your photos to be instantly dry. On top of this, they’ll also be quality photos for up to 100 years and are water-resistant as well. This means that the photos you take can last a lifetime and will be tough and durable throughout the years.
The design itself is sleek.- it looks nice. It can be a great printer for home use as well as professional use. Also, it comes with a tilting LCD screen that will allow you to choose your photos as well as edit them before printing.
The photo size is roughly the same as a postcard. Compared to most portable printer’s credit card sized photos, you’re in for a real upgrade when using this printer. The resolution will allow up to 256 levels per color, which in turn allows 16.8 million colors to be reflected in your photos.
This will translate into clear photos with great quality. On top of being one of the best all-in-one portable printers, this is my pick for the best cheap portable printer as well. You get many amenities with few downsides at an affordable price.
- A printer that can provide the best bang for your buck.
- Larger than average picture sizes.
- LCD screen to navigate through your photos.
- Wireless capability.
- The LCD screen is nice but it takes away the capability to use your phone with the printer.
8. Epson Workforce WF-100 Wireless Mobile Printer
The Epson Workforce WF-100 is a high-end portable printer. What makes this Epson printer stand out is that, upon release, it was marketed as the world’s lightest and smallest mobile printer.
Of course, this may change in the future, but if you’re looking for a lightweight and extremely portable printer, this is your product. It’ll allow you to print from iPads, iPhones, tablets, and other smartphones using its companion app.
No tricky buttons or unexplained mechanics – it’s all easily explained on your mobile device. The Epson Workforce will also come with built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. You’ll be wireless wherever you go, but you’ll be restricted to ensuring that the printer is charged before you use it.
However, these batteries won’t need to be replaced and you can continually charge them for as long as you’re using the printer. You’ll be able to charge it using either USB or AC adapters.
One major downside of this printer is that it’s designed specifically for use with Epson cartridges only. You won’t be able to use third-party ink or cartridges. This shouldn’t be an issue for most people, but, unfortunately, they restrict you from buying another one of their products.
- Extremely lightweight and portable.
- Ability to connect to iOS devices, tablets, and other smartphones.
- Large printing size for the size of the printer.
- Only able to use Epson cartridges and no other 3rd party cartridges or ink.
- The lithium-ion batteries are nice, but they do require you to have forethought before you use the printer.
- You’ll have to constantly keep your printer charged or think in advance if you’d like to use it at an event or gathering.
9. HP OfficeJet 250 All-in-One Portable Printer
The HP OfficeJet is one of the best portable all-in-one printers as well as one of the best wireless printers. It allows you to scan, copy, and print on the go wherever you need it. It will allow you to connect to your mobile device or even through a laptop.
The laptop capability hasn’t been discussed yet but is so incredibly important if you’d like a portable printer in a professional or business setting. Sometimes your phone just isn’t enough to get the work done and it’s nice to have the capability of using your laptop.
It uses a companion app called HP ePrint that is free to get an can be used on both your laptop and mobile devices. Speaking of connections, it’s not limited to just one way to connect to this printer.
One of the beautiful functions of this printer is the automatic document feeder that it uses. You’ll be able to copy, scan, and print multiple-page documents. This makes printing large volumes of documents or photos on the go a breeze. The size is a bit bigger than most, but that makes sense considering all the functions it can provide.
This portable printer also offers a much larger selection for your photo sizes. You’ll be able to print a letter, legal, executive, envelope, and statement sized photos and papers without any issue. This can be ideal for a professional setting or use. This is perhaps your “best buy portable printer.”
- Professional setting.
- Ability to print a wide variety of paper sizes.
- The automatic document feeder.
- A color touchscreen to help you easily navigate through your photos and documents.
- Print from either your phone or your laptop, the choice is yours
- Larger than most portable printers.
- Requires batteries to be recharged.
10. HP OfficeJet 200 Portable Printer
The HP OfficeJet 200 is a larger portable printer that is ideal for office or professional use. You’ll be able to print from your smartphone or tablet with the ePrint app, just like the above listed portable printer.
However, laptop capabilities are off the table. Paper sizes supported include executive, envelopes, statements, legal, and letter sizes. It’s incredibly similar to the portable printer listed above, just with a lot of simpler features and functions.
Its price point is more affordable but it doesn’t go down by that much. It’s a good option if you’re on a budget, but it may be better to go with the 250 all-in-one printer if you’re seriously considering a portable printer for more than just personal use.
- Friendly to use
- A large variety of printing sizes available.
- Similar to the 250 all-in-ones in terms of size and functional capabilities
- It doesn’t provide as much as the 250 and only reduces in price by a marginal amount.
- Still runs into the issue of requiring the batteries to be recharged.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are portable printers worth your money?
The portable printers allow you to print anywhere anytime. The best part is if you are traveling for work, you can easily carry it. Furthermore, it is convenient and easily accessible. You are no longer bound to a particular place; you are free to work on the go.
Some of the mobile or portable printers are able to print from devices other than laptops; hence you have the advantage of printing through your smartphones or camera. The quality of mobile prints is quite impressive. To add to this some of the printers are quite speedy. The print resolution is usually higher ranging from 300 dpi to 1200 dpi. Thus, to sum up, portable mobile printers are worth all your money since they can produce professional-looking documents in a jiffy.
What is the best portable printer for the home office?
HP Office Jet 250:
It is a perfect all-rounder, and can work well in the home office environment. This portable printer is a combination of printing, scanning, and copying. It uses a color touch screen panel to print or scan in just a few seconds. The life rechargeable battery can be charged from any AC power supply. With the help of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, you can easily connect the printer to a particular image source.
The printer comes with an app that is suitable for both Android and iOS. You will only need a Bluetooth or NFC connection to operate. It creates great photos without using cartridges or ribbons since it works on zero ink papers.
Canon Pixma iP110:
It helps you print through your iOS device without the requirement of any drivers. Moreover, it gives you the option for printing from online cloud services. Every purchase of Canon Pixma iP110 comes with ink tanks, set up the software, print head, power cord, and AC adaptor.
What is the best resolution for printing?
The most widely accepted resolution for printing pictures is 300 pixels per inch. It enhances the quality of the pictures by squeezing the images in close proximity to make everything look crisp and sharp.
Do portable printers use ink?
The Majority of photo printers use the Zero Ink (popularly known as Zink) method to print high-quality hard photocopies. Through this technique, all your images are printed through the thermal paper. As these printers do not need traditional ink, the maintenance is easy and hassle-free.
By now you should’ve learned that the world of portable printers is much more than meets the eye. Portable printers will function as a great gift, for personal use, or even for professional use, depending on your needs.
This list encompasses all of the best portable printers as the ups and downs associated with all of them. No matter what you need a portable printer for, you’ve seen the best that anyone can offer.
Hopefully, by now, you’re ready to dive into the world of portable printing and all the wonders that this new modern technology can provide for you in your daily life.